Bloody Point Bar
Located of the southern tip of Kent Island, Maryland. It was commissioned
on Oct. 1, 1882. Almost from day one, the action of the tides caused the
caisson to start leaning. Work was done in 1883 and 1885 to straighten
and stabilize the light. In 1960, the Coast Guard spend six hours fighting
a fire in the lighthouse. The interior was eventually cleaned out and the
light automated. The light is a caisson-type, rust red in color.
The Baltimore Light guards the entrance to the Baltimore Harbor. The
cylindrical caisson foundation was built in 1904 at the Mouth of the Magothy
River. It is a white two story brick lighthouse, and was the last lighthouse
built on the Chesapeake Bay. Today, the lighthouse is privately owned.
Thomas Point Shoal
Located just north of the mouth of the south river, south of Annapolis. It is probably the most recognized lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay. It is the only screw-pile type light on the bay in it's original position and is the 3rd
light used to mark the shoal. Thomas Point was commissioned in November 1875. Heavy rip rap has been placed around the light to fend off ice. The lighthouse was manned until 1986 and was the first lighthouse on the bay to be fully automated. It has a bright red roof white sides. It is so well maintained and in such perfect condition- like it is waiting for its keeper to return.
Sandy Point Light
Located at the southern mouth of the Magothy River, just off Sandy Point State Park and clearly visible from the Bay Bridge. It is a caisson light with an octagonal brick dwelling and tower. Originally it was requested a screw-pile light be built in this area. But problems with winter ice and the screwpiles had developed so additional funds were requested for a caisson. No more money was available so they compromised. They built a caisson foundation, sunk it, and then built a smaller less expensive brick tower on it. It was first lit on October of 1883. Sandy Point is a bright red light with a white roof.
Craighill Channel Upper Range
Located at the Mouth of the Patapsco River. The Craighill channel cuts about five miles off the southern approach to Baltimore, entering Brewerton Channel (the main Patapsco/Baltimore Channel). The front light is a brick octagonal tower, painted red and white. The rear is a pyramidal iron skeleton tower. They were commissioned in 1886 and both have fixed red lights.
Craighill Channel Lower Range
Commissioned in 1873 using temporary lights and was fully completed in 1875. It is the first caisson light built in the United States. It has a circular dwelling and tower.
The Craighill Channel lower range rear light, sits on a shoal near the end of Hart Island. Due to the conditions of the bottom of the bay in this location a cofferdam was built, piles were driven and granite supporting piers were laid. On these a pyramidal iron skeleton tower was erected. This is a unique style for the Chesapeake Bay. It is 105 feet tall and is red at the top and white at the bottom.
Located outside the mouth of the gunpowder river. Poole's Island was settled
and farmed as early as 1808. It is the 4th
oldest lighthouse on
the bay (Cape Henry, Old Point Comfort, & New Point Comfort preceded it)
and the oldest lighthouse in Maryland. It was commissioned in 1825 and is a
white conical tower. The Army purchased the island in 1917 and it was made
part of Aberdeen Proving grounds.
Sharps Island Light
Located off the entrance to the Choptank River, approximately 4 miles from the the southern most tip of Tilghman Island. It is a cast iron cassion filled with concrete with a brick lined cast iron tower built on top. It was first lit in February of 1882. The previous light on this spot was a screw pile light completed in 1865. It lasted until February 10, 1881 when, during a winter thaw, the wind driven ice swept the building from the screw pile and it floated 5 miles down the bay, with the keeper inside. It ran aground and the keeper escaped. In the winter of 1976-1977, severe ice flows tilted the tower 15 degrees.